After I submitted my letter of intent to the masters for my upcoming 2nd DAN test, they asked me to post it as an example for others. I believe the letter needs to be tailored for each personal individual journey, but I hope the format is useful for others.
April 30, 2017
Mercer Island Martial Arts
Grand Master Strongheart
Master Krista Wells
I would like to officially declaring my intent to progress in my training to second DAN, with the rank of Kyo Sa Nim.
I have included a summary of key milestones/events since my 1st evaluation for 2nd DAN and my plan for completing the remaining requirements by May 20, 2017.
- May 4, 2016 - First 2nd DAN Evaluation Test
- May 16, 2016 through today - Regularly attend class (minimum of three a week), plus Thursday night black belt class.
- January 10, 2017 through today - Assisting during Tuesday night teenager class
- January 26, 2017 - Attended Short Sword Training Class
- March 1, 2017 - Completed Leadership Project
- Remote Base Project for Seattle chapter of Red Cross
- Managed the purchase and installation of system, including overseeing three work parties (~5 people each), coordinating antenna installation with professional tower company and installation of radios at chapter.
- Complete blog post of activities for website, April 30, 2017.
- April 30, 2017 - Complete four essays and post on website
- May 20, 2017 - Complete final evaluation
- Break: one power break of cement paver stone
- Preform all requested forms, including Koryo.
- Demonstrate ten different hapkido/judos techniques on partner
- Present Shinai form (either live demo or more formal form)
I look forward to your input on any additional items required.